Making a Brew Room

 As a Complete Newbie

To this cider press gambit I obviously need the kit and the space. I was a cider drinker over the beer options available and knew the various brands around in the mid to late 1990's. A fan of "K" cider I liked the dry flavours more than the sweet ones. A jug of Scrumpy when at a party would go down particularly well and last me all weekend if not shared. Especially though an after dinner cider appertif would be nice on the table for those cheese board evenings as an accompaniment. I do have a large space for more cider and Apples in my life! Waiting for my own first Apple trees to fruit is quite a feeling that's new to me. I tend the pots, research how to grow the fruit best without using any processed chemicals, about to add used coffee grounds and vermiculite to the planters and bed down with some old rabbit hay to stop them from freezing up too solid in the winter. Getting cider from my own home grown Apple trees has long been an ambition of mine, and is about to be a reality. I begin with 6, 2 litre Old Rosie bottles and having read a couple of cider making books and looked at the cider clubs online, and read the rules on the Government website I feel ready to begin my first batch. 2 bottles will be to make cider vinegar as I find that good for rinsing my hair and polishing glass; windows, drinking glasses, and cleaning around the home and pet areas. The 4 bottles that require some juice to turn to alcohol are set to one side. There is currently a project on with the cost of living squeeze to discover how the ratio of Apple juice effects the finished affect of the ciders. I am reading up more about that and an thinking I'll give a few sample efforts while I'm waiting for my own trees to fruit. It looks like the amount of pure juice used does quantify the alcohol ABV of the finished drink. I'm need to learn more about that. As it was the highest ABV was found in cheap white ciders. Now it appears that crafting a croft of higher ABV content 'liquid gold' cider on a level more with fine Whiskey or a special Gin is requested. Raising the standard and reputation of cider to a quality crafted drink of gentle folk rather that to the future knowledge of Apples. Seems it would be better than the cider drinkers reputation that fell to insinuations of being sat on a park bench being overly fizzy, too cheap, and getting you quite wrecked quite quickly! So an experiment is underweigh now to relearn, if you like, or find a new pathway to the finest cider orchards in our garden so cider can grow a new reputation for itself and the flowers can bring us more rewards than resentment for Apple appreciation. Crafting a Croft of Quality Cider is now on my agenda for the next few years at least. And bringing a fresh new dimension to the Pippin at the Cheeseboard would be absolutely lovely! The jars will soon be here brimming with cider drams, note worthy and abundant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crab

Marvellous Pips

The Renaissance