Root Boots

 Root Cultures




Rootstock Chart from the Internet

This chart about Apple Tree rootstocks explains a lot about how the different size apple trees can be grown from grafting a variety you choose onto a root for the size of the mature tree to be decided. It's not bonsai. I am a fan of the M27, for a few reasons, firstly I don't need a ladder or climbing gear to pick the fruit or prune and train the branches. Secondly, I can grow the tree in pots which are easy to move if I have to. Thirdly, the nutrients that the trees receive can be more closely measured and it's easy for me to garden and dig around in a pot than the ground that may be too hard for me with my hand trowl.  Fourthly, with limited space and a desire for various varieties in my orchard the Dwarfed trees are an ideal selection. Fifthly, the big trees would give me way more apples than I need for my project. Sixthly, they're mega cute!
As it states that the crop potential lasts approx 5 years, I will need to learn to propagate my trees for continued successes from my orchard. It's not too hard. There are numerous places to buy rootstocks for grafting, and I did see some kind of competition a few years ago about who had the most different fruit trees grafted onto one rootstock, for an ornamental garden that shows 7 I think was the most I spied grafted into one tree! Fantastic for a kitchen garden idea that saves space! Quite the Environmentally Friendly idea. And a fun horticultural example of the adaptiveness of rootstocks. 
With these things in mind I am still selecting my heirloom trees even before I begin to imagine creating my own super Apple-Almond Tree, Apple-Cashew, Apple-Pear, or Magic Multi-Mega Mini Fruit Trees Dwarf variety. With Climbing vines such as honeysuckle or clematis, possibly even a pretty passionflower the garden is starting to bring it's own charm. I'm thinking drinks and desserts for my dining table and maybe a contribution to the local farmers markets. Decorating the pots may be nice, perhaps some windchimes, or a gnome? Painted Stones are trendy right now and a good way to record important information like planting year or anything else you connect in memento for your tree. A few more varieties to add this winter and I'm onto a good thing. Thankful for reading books and webpages online as it's hours of research to attend to, the occasional YouTube MP4 helps to see other people's efforts in a similar area of interest! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crab

8th of December - Full Moon

Marvellous Pips